(opens in new tab)
• This Western episode isn’t what you might be expecting from the footage in the trailers. It’s a surprisingly mature, dark story which engages in much ethical debate, and shows us a side of the Doctor we don’t usually see.
• There are no clear-cut bad guys, only shades of grey.
• It’s not a great episode for female actors. We reckon that only one female guest star gets to speak a line (on-screen, at least – there’s also some framing narration). That’s a measly five words!
• Crossing the line is a key plot point – both literally and metaphorically.
• The Doctor spends more time packing heat than he ever has before, and does some things you may not agree with.
• Although it is addressed, you may still find yourself wondering why the Doctor doesn’t simply use the TARDIS to fix the whole problem.
• This episode features two Doctors!
• The fact that 80 has become 81 has significance.
• The Doctor reveals a liking for a certain soap opera, and a taste for the strong stuff.
• Apparently you can do surprisingly impressive things with Tupperware and moss.
• The Doctor befriends a male who prefers to be treated as female.
• Someone gets the measure of the Doctor – twice.
• At one point, it all goes a bit Spartacus-with-Henna.
• A fallen angel becomes a protector.
• Egg terminate!
Ian Berriman twitter.com/ianberriman